1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
500 g minced beef
1 x 410 g can diced tomatoes
1 x 140 g tub tomato paste
¾ cup beef stock
½ teaspoon sugar
Italian herbs to taste
1 x 500 g packet penne or spiral pasta
2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is soft.
- Add mince stirring, over high heat, until browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, sugar and herbs.
- Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- While mince is simmering, prepare pasta as per packet instructions.
- Stir drained pasta into cooked mince sauce, stir well to coat pasta.
- Spoon half of pasta mixture into an ovenproof 20x28cm dish.
- Sprinkle one cup of mozzarella over pasta.
- Repeat with remaining pasta mixture and finish with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes or until cheese is browned.
read more for details..
Sprinkle grated Parmesan or Romano cheese over top of bake for a stronger flavour.